Sunday, September 08, 2013

Quick Update (On the Lack of Updates)

Hi all,

I have been delinquent about posting new material in past weeks: I've settled into Addis so that I don't have too much new to say about it, and I also haven't gotten out of Addis in the past month. I was hoping to make it out this weekend--to Mekele, a regional capital in the northern desert highlands--but my reason to fly in for work on Friday got cancelled.

Updates for the coming month will continue to be infrequent, but for different reasons: I'll be leaving this Thursday night for a quick weekend in Delhi followed by two weeks in Nepal. The crew from http://zevandeliza.com/ (for APT people that would be Zev and Eliza) and I will be celebrating Indra Jatra in Kathmandu and trekking the Langtang Valley. I have not extensively prepared for this, so I really hope my 3 months living at 7,000 feet will have prepared me well.

(Sidenote: I'm really hoping to get myself jogging again before I leave here, so that I can come back to the US with a little bit of altitude-driven endurance. But to that I have to get over my mild distaste for being an object of amusement of locals when I'm jogging in the park near my house. You'd think in a country with a substantial running tradition, it wouldn't be that surprising to see someone out running, even a ferengi).

So check back in October -- hopefully I'll have some tranquil Himalayan photos to post if nothing else. And before I sign off for now, here's another update on work my team at the ATA has been doing. (The weird formatting in that link is not my fault).

Peace,
Max

No comments: